Sunday, June 29: Meg Gardiner and Gale Albright on KAZI
Please tune in to KAZI Book Review with Hopeton Hay on 88.7 FM at 12:30 p.m. this Sunday, June 29, for a live interview with thriller novelist Meg Gardiner who will discuss her new book, Phantom Instinct. Gale Albright of AMW and Sisters in Crime, Heart of Texas chapter, will ask Meg Gardiner about her experiences as a female crime fiction writer. Listen live at http://www.kazifm.org
Sunday, July 13: Etiquette for Critique Groups
Sisters in Crime presents a panel on how to give and receive reader feedback. AMW Author Gale Albright will moderate at 2:00 at Recycled Reads, 5335 Burnet Rd., Austin, TX 78756.
June 27-9, 2014: Agents and Editors Conference
Writer’s League of Texas presents its annual conference at the Hyatt Regency Austin, 208 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TX 78704. Information and Program
AMW author Elizabeth Buhmann will moderate a panel on “Thrillers and Mysteries: Distinguishing Yourself on a Crowded Shelf” with Michelle Richter, Michael Signorelli, David Hale Smith, and Lee Thomas on June 28 at 11:15.
June 21: Writer’s Workshop in Pflugerville
AMW Author Elizabeth Buhmann will talk about steps and options for getting published at the Pflugerville Public Library on Saturday, June 21, 2014 from 2:00-3:00 PM. The library is located at 1008 W. Pfluger St., Pflugerville, TX 78660. The program is free, and anyone 18 and up is welcome.
Seeking Aspiring Mystery Writers!
Sisters in Crime Heart of Texas chapter (Austin) calls on all unpublished, aspiring writers of cozies, thrillers, true crime, noir, young adult, middle grade, and other mystery genres to submit the first 500 words of their mystery manuscript to the Barbara Burnett Smith Aspiring Writers Event (BBSAWE). Include a brief synopsis. Aspiring writers are chosen and matched with published author-mentors for one-on-one sessions and recognition at the BBSAWE in May of each year. The submission deadline is March 31, 2014.
This is not a contest – there is no judging and no fee. It is a wonderful opportunity for writers unpublished in the mystery field to be mentored by published authors and recognized by the Austin Sisters in Crime chapter. All aspiring writers MUST attend the Barbara Burnett Smith Aspiring Writers Event to be held Sunday, May 18, 2014, in Austin, Texas, at 2 p.m. at Recycled Reads, 5335 Burnet Rd., Austin, TX 78756. Please e-mail entries to Gale Albright at bbshotsinc[at]hotmail.com
If you have questions about submission guidelines or other concerns, please contact Gale Albright at the above e-mail address.
- Unpublished writers submit by e-mail a 100 word (maximum) synopsis and the first 500 words of a mystery short story or novel.
- Entries should be in standard submission format: 12 point Times New Roman or Courier New font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins.
- Attach Word file document with the synopsis (100 word max) on first page. Please put your name, e-mail address, phone number, and title of story or novel in the top left-hand corner of first page. Start story/novel 500-word submission on second page. Put name, title, and page number on all pages.
- E-mail subject line: BBSAWE ENTRY
- One submission per person
- E-mail entries to email@example.com
- Submission deadline is March 31, 2014